View Single Post
Old 01-03-2007, 06:44 AM

Default "not a beater"

I've got to disagree with the continued labeling of these old Sigma's as "beaters". I got my DM4-CV in about 1987 at a bluegrass shop in MD for apx $xxx. A couple of years ago I had the tuners replaced with high end Gotohs and the nut and bridge done in bone, bone pins, and a fret job. Total bill of about $xxx.

I've spent probably 250 hours in guitar shops in the last few years playing Martin, Gibson, Taylor, etc. I DID buy an XXX-RS for finger picking, but I have YET to find a dread that sounds any better than this old Sigma. Some of them sound DIFFERENT, but not better. I've even played some of the old guitars you find occasionally. Andersons guitar gallery in Frisco has had some very very old Martins for example, and I've played some 30 to 50 year old J45s. I actually have tried to talk myself INTO buying an HD28V or the new Taylor GS. But every time I play one, then come home and play this old Sigma (yes, I know I should play them side by side), I just can't honestly say they sound any better.

Maybe it's my ears (I'm an amateur hack) or maybe it's sentiment, but I think the $xxx spent on my Sigma was the best investment I've made on guitars EVER! I'm planning a full fret job on it in the next few years. My advice is, if you like the old Sigma you've got, and it sounds like you do, don't skimp on it. It's worth far more than the sum of its parts, and the bone parts and Gotoh's really did make a difference on mine! I seriously doubt these guitars will ever have any "value", except to guys like us that appreciate a good sounding guitar.

....your mileage may vary....

Last edited by rlouie; 08-02-2009 at 07:45 AM. Reason: no price discussion rule