View Single Post
Old 10-08-2017, 09:34 AM

Default Need some tips for recording solo guitar.

Hello everybody, I have been playing around with some home recording for fun. I don't need anything pro quality of course but I would like to make my recordings as good as I can for the equipment and room that I have. So, if you guys could listen to my video and then give me some tips if you see some ways I could easily improve it.
https://youtu.be/YgP-6i5xqnU
Here is exactly what I have and have done.
Zoom Q8n video/audio recorder.
Rode NT4 stereo condenser mic.
Audio edited with audacity.
I placed my mic 1' in front of the 14fret, the first input is panned left, the second input panned right, and the zoom built in mic is locked in L&R. So three mic channels in all.
I edited each channel separately in audacity by touching the bass/treble control just a little, ran the high and low pass filters just knocking back the extreme frequencies, added a touch of reverb and the ran the compresser at default setting something like threshold -12, ratio 2:1, added an extra .2 of gain under amplify just to have it almost clipping. Then mixed the video and audio tracks in NCH videopad editor.
So, my main questions are how can I improve the overall quality. It sounds just a little distant and unfocused. I have experimented with mic placement. Is this probably just the best my living room can be. (it is the most sound dead room in the house). Is there an easy to use editing program that is a lot better than audacity. Would using a full band equalizer or adding more compression improve it. Lastly, how is it so quiet? After using compression and adjusting the gain when mastering to a minimal clipping level it is still quiet. Any info and tips would be appreciated.