View Single Post
Old 11-07-2017, 03:05 PM

Default tough question

This is harder than it seems mostly due to the incredible leap in quality of electric guitars at the lower end of the price spectrum over the past 10+ years.

When I started playing inexpensive guitars were night and day from even slightly more expensive ones. With CNC and other advances plus closer oversight and care from the parent company there are a ton of guitars made in the far east that are really nice instruments.

I currently have 3 electrics and none of them are US made (I have owned two US Teles in the past). One is vintage - the other two - a PRS SE and an Ibanez Talman are newer. Of the two new ones I can find few flaws in the fit or finish of either - the frets edges on the Ibanez aren't perfect but more than usable. Other than that, not much, particularly the PRS which I have zero complaints about from a construction or even component perspective.

As noted - other than labor which is not an insignificant matter - costs have to be cut somewhere and where it is cut varies a bit - usually pickups and hardware but even that is not always the case given that often a branded and unbranded version of something may be the same thing other than the label.

So... particularly if you're willing to shop used - the general consensus models have been named already but I'll second them:

PRS SE (they may be the top of the heap based on my experience)
Fender - Mexican and or Squier
Epiphone - particularly when you edge a bit up in their range.
G&L Tribute
Yamaha Pacifica
Ibanez RG or S

etc... Really it depends on what type of sound you're after. While I can hear the difference between a Martin Dread and a Taylor 714 the difference is not nearly as dramatic as between a Telecaster and a Jackson with EMGs a Floyd Rose tremolo and a sustainiac in it! Also, the sound of an electric is a system really - the guitar itself (pickups, strings and to a lesser extent hardward/wood), any effects you may be using, and the amplifier plus speaker. A Telecaster played through a Deluxe Reverb reissue will sound a good bit different than the same guitar through an Orange OR15 or a Mesa Dual Rectifier. Add in an overdrive, delay whatever and that also colors your tone. At minimum you should consider an amp choice as well since you'll need one...

All that being said I somehow manage to make all my electrics and amps sound oddly similar - partly how I play, partly the effects I use and partly how I tend to EQ an amp...

What style do you play and what kind of sound are you looking to obtain?
PRS Custom 24
Rickenbacker 330
Teles (too many)

Bad Cat Cub III 30R
Goodsell Super 17
Vintage Sound VS22

Too many pedals!