View Single Post
Old 09-19-2017, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFP55 View Post
...feels like trying to pat my head and rub my stomach at the same time. It throws everything off. Is this something that improves over time, or is it more of an innate thing?

For the past week I've been working on Ryan Adams' "Come Pick Me Up". The chords are super simple, but for some reason I've found it very difficult to learn. I started with the tab and then watched a good youtube demo (dozens of times so far). I then found a number of different versions of the song and listened to them carefully multiple times. I then played along with the studio version, the lesson, and the other versions (by Ryan and several other covers) for 2-3 hours straight for several days. I then put the guitar down, closed my eyes, and sang along with the various versions multiple times.

I've now gotten the guitar part down where I can play it while conversing with my kids and have the lyrics/timing memorized....but.....as soon as I try to do both together, it all comes unglued. I've found songs where the lyrics mirror the melody to be somewhat easier, but still I struggle with those. But this one....man....

I guess my question is "is this struggle a normal part of learning the performing process??" Any tips would be much appreciated....thanks!

Ryan plays and sings this lots of different ways as you've noticed and, like Two, not on the beat. I think of it as letting the voice lead the guitar, sort of pulling it behind me. Sometimes, at least on Two, he doesn't change the chord till quite late, during the "silence," rather than on the melody. (I'm sure I'm not describing that properly.) At least, that's what I hear and how I do it. When I am singing, the guitar is following me, not the other way around. That being said, I find the acoustic version of Foo Fighters' Something From Nothing quite difficult to sing while playing.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)