View Single Post
Old 08-08-2017, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
Hi Doug, would you say your tastes and recommendations apply solely to fingerpicking or do you feel they crossover to to players who strum semi-aggressively or aggressively?
I'm 99.99999% fingerstyle :-) Certainly pickups have a harder time with more aggressive playing. The pickups I'm using would fair as well as any, maybe better, with more aggressive playing. The Trance has a lot of headroom, as does the Dazzo. I think SBTs in general stand up better against strumming, but some may find the attack too mushy. USTs tend to have the most quack, but the Barbara is pretty good in that respect. being passive, you at least don't have to worry about spikes overdriving a cheap internal preamp, so if you use a good external preamp with lots of headroom, the Barbara should work well.

Personally, I think to some degree, you have to play to your instrument, adjusting your technique as necessary to get a good sound. That can mean that when you're plugged in, you can't play as aggressively as you can acoustically, if you want to get a good sound.