View Single Post
Old 07-24-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidb View Post
Hello all.
Just signed up to your community after lurking for a few weeks. After exhaustive research, I've just purchased what I consider to be my first fine guitar. A Larrivee OM40 and I'm loving it.
My question as indicated above is regarding the stock saddle (Graphtec) on the OM.
I've read here that a bone saddle can make a significant difference in the tone of the instrument. When I discussed this with the retailer, he said that the Graphtec saddles on Larrivees are so close to bone that I would probably not notice a difference in tone.
Opinions?
I've anything but a golden ear, but I've always replaced stock saddles with bone replacements on any guitar that didn't have perfect intonation ($30 is a small price ot pay for good intonation!). the best results were on a weird sigma with macassar ebony b&s that had a plastic nut originally. after poping the bone in there, the guitar literally came alive. the bass response on it was flipping phenomenal after that!

with the other 8 or so guitar's I've had professionals install bone nuts in, there was no noticeable difference in tone, just better intonation than the non-shaped nuts that were originally in them.

actually, my mahogany/spruce dread tak had slightly better sustain afterwords, but it was most likely the better strings it was strung with.

but once again, I am guessing my ear isn't great at hearing the differences