View Single Post
Old 01-01-2017, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Thanks much, Chris,

Right now I have a a Demeter VTMP-2c and a 2-channel Hardy M1. Both are very good pres but I'm not sure either is the right pre to pair with the Flea for vocals. The Demeter is a tube pre and works well paired with my Blue Kiwi but I'm not a huge fan of the tube mic/tube pre combo. I'll likely give it a go though just because I'm curious. The M1 is a very clean pre and doesn't color the audio. I use it for tracking acoustic guitar and it does a very nice job. Not sure that totally clean is the direction I'd want to go for vocals though.

Cheers! And Happy New Year!
The tube mic /tube pre = "too much tube" notion has been around a long time.
And because I had also heard this, it may well have been one reason that why having a good tube pre, I went looking for a good FET to pair with it, and ended up with the Brauner Phantom V FET mic. Albeit the main reason I kept the Brauner was after hearing the combo in my home studio I was hooked . But honestly I would not hesitate to try and probably use my MP2A with a good tube mic

Because while that may have had some merit way back when.
I am not sure that today this isn't simply another left over "old engineering wives tales "
I'm guessing with the quality of todays electronic circuitry that is most likely a non issue.

And that while a great paring is still a viable goal, that the question of tube/tube or SS/SS etc. is likely no longer, much of an issue.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4