View Single Post
Old 12-08-2010, 10:44 PM
Charter Member

As Wade points out, so much of what works for a particular player is their playing style and preferences. I own a Martin 000-28VS, which is a 12-fret 000 design with a standard scale (rather than the short scale of more modern 000 Martin guitars). Here is a link: http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/...p=m&m=000-28VS

You can see by the picture that the body is elongated as AZ Liberty mentioned. This guitar has a fair amount of bass and is very warm sounding for my fingerstyle playing, but Wade has rightly described this guitar as sounding "tubby" when played aggressively with a flat pick up the neck.

Actually, I'm with Wade in that the more I play OM style guitars with 14-fret necks, the less I play my 12-fret Martin. Nothing wrong with it -- it sounds great, but I have come to prefer the balance of the 14-fret OM design a little more. Also, the 12-fret neck is limiting for a lot of instrumental fingerstyle songs where a person just runs out of room. One of our AGF members had a Martin 000-28VS with a cutaway in our Classified Section a while ago.

Regards, Glenn