View Single Post
Old 01-08-2017, 07:45 AM

There is a saw down the street from me in an closed sawmill that is around 15 feet tall and has at least a 4" wide blade. I actually thought about it for a minute or two... I'm like "well, there's three phase power on the street, I could get it pulled in and the ceiling is high enough..."

Not mentioned often enough is selection of blade. The wrong blade, of any quality on any saw, won't do the job properly. I don't know much, not having much experience with a band saw, but when I got a low tooth count (4 tpi) 1/2" wide blade, my skill at resawing improved by an order of magnitude! The theory is that a low tooth count, big toothed blade simply makes a space for the sawdust to go, and lets the saw work a whole lot easier. Worked for me. So do a little research about how to choose a blade for the task at hand, and don't make my mistake of thinking there is such a thing as a do-all combination blade. You have to just about completely re-set-up the saw each time you change the blade, and yes, they do wear out...