View Single Post
Old 12-31-2013, 01:52 AM

I have two 17" L-5's, a '46 and a '77. I also have a Manzer 16". I have never owned a Collings archtop, but I have played a few and I am a Bill Collings fan in general, having owned a D-3 since '95.

The Collings archtops are pretty much loved by everyone who plays one. But still, IMO, there is no such thing as a perfect guitar, just horses for courses. A 16" would TEND to be a little better for fingerpicking, but as we all know, variations between individual guitars are greater than generalizations between types of guitars. At any rate, you can expect a Collings to be a very versatile instrument and to respond to a wide range of picking styles and touches.

But you mention Bryant Trenier... I own two Trenier's, a Magnolia Classic and an Excel, and I have another on the way. All 17". IMO his work is more of a continuation of the work of D'Angelico and D'Aquisto than any working luthier. I love the design of his guitars, but the sound is also unmatched. Since he is still a pretty young guy and his work is not as well known, you can get one of his instruments for a fraction of what you'd pay for a Collings, and you would get to work with Bryant personally to optimize it for your needs. Although the name is not as well known, I think they match the quality of the Collings, and he is a total pro to work with.

Enjoy the hunt!

Circle 'Round the Sun