View Single Post
Old 10-19-2016, 11:27 AM

my 2 cents

if you are primarily playing through an amp I would go with a laminate top and inset pickup. The acoustic degradation you will find with an inset pickup is not going to matter in this price point as no manufacturer in that market is making truly acoustic archtops which are being individually voiced anyway. Thats not to say you can't find one that will make you happy acoustically... but its really just a probability game in the market you are looking at. out of every thousand guitars a company pumps out there are bound to be some that are nice acoustic instruments. But the process by which a luthier creates a truly acoustic arch top guitar does not fit into the business/manufacturing model of any manufacture listing instruments for less than $3,000.

At the price point you listed you are looking exclusively at mass production instruments being made by lower skilled laborers in countries that have less environmental and labor standards than in westernized countries.

So, my advice is to just spend some time and play as many guitars as you can in person until you find one that suits you. And if you plan on playing amplified most of the time, I'd go with a lam top and back and an inset pickup so that you are sure the guitar will preform in whatever setting you bring it to.