Thread: No Pedal thread
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2024, 02:05 PM

[QUOTE=Charlie Bernstein;7433032]When I play electric I need reverb and like overdrive and tremolo. Don't like delay, chorus, flange, compressor, wah, or any other soul sucker.

When I play acoustic, I don't want effects. I pay so much for good-sounding acoustic instruments that it would be crazy to mess it up. Any room has natural reverb, so dialed-in reverb sounds fake and artsy. That means that when I'm playing folk guitar (or mando or harp), I only use reverb for recording, where there isn't a big room to bounce the sound around.

I'm 100% with Charlie on this and I couldn't have said it better! Also, someone mentioned using effects for certain cover songs, and here's something I think I've learned over the years: As long as I'm playing the cover song in a recognizable way, everyone in the room likes it and almost no one cares what my guitar tone is like - except for the two guitarists who happen to be there, and no matter what I use, neither of them ever thinks I got the tone right...so I set up and play my guitar for tones and sounds that I like to hear. Trust me, this works!