View Single Post
Old 02-12-2009, 03:49 AM

first post here in, well, years. I`m sure youse have all missed me...
but if you can come up with a Yamaha Dynamic catalog, I`d love to see it. So far I`ve only been able to come up with one web site dedicated to them which I`ll link up at the end of this post. There is a small but growing fanatical following of the Dynamics in Japan, and it`s understandable to me...they are exceptional little guitars, and evidently almost completely unknown outside Japan, and hardly popular here but as I say, gettin there. In the link you`ll see they came in several models and the labels went through quite a few changes over the years too. From what my wife has translated for me from my Japan Vintage series of books, the Dynamics went out of production once the FGs came on line...with perhaps some overlap, but briefly if at all it seems. Some Dynamics were made for export and a few overseas players have been in touch with me concerning some they have or are interested in, and we exchange what little info is available on them. I recently read that the Dynamics were in fact not made by Yamaha but rather made for them by Suzuki and/or Tenryu. My ealiest has a 3 digit serial number and as far as I can tell goes back to the early 1950s...I have 29 Dynamics now, some doubles of certain models and three #40s...they sound great, and are still available for very little money in Japan for the most part...I`d wager I`ve paid less than $1000.oo for all 29 of mine...if you can find an all solid wood wood guitar made 40 or 50 years ago from old growth timber with as much mojo as the Dynamics have, then let me know, I`d be interested in them. I also have a few old Sadao Yairi nylon strings dating from 1961 to 1971...some of those are fabulous guitars too but generally cost more than the Dynamics with more bidders after them but still bargains all things considered. Paid $100.oo for an all solid wood Sada...rosewood/spruce ... think `cause the case smelled musty but I put it outdoors on the balcony for several sunny days running and that solved that problem last summer...but, this is a Yamaha thread so...if you have access to a Dynamic catalog, please post a link or pics...thanks...

http://www.geocities.jp/mmasmcb/catalog.html