View Single Post
Old 06-19-2017, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

I've gone both ways with this one. I started my musical experience learning piano as a child and had formal instruction for years. This worked out well. When I picked up a guitar after ~10 years of piano I signed up for private lessons. After burning through 4 or 5 different instructors I put the guitar aside for a couple of years. When I started guitar again I committed to playing by ear and observation of other players and enjoyed it completely. But like others on this forum life got in the way and my guitars found their way under the bed, then very deep into my storage closet. When I picked up the guitar many years later I continued without lessons. But I wanted to learn fingerstyle and I found the "right" teacher. I've been taking lessons 1 or 2 times a month over the last year and have made excellent progress, beyond what I would have done by myself. So, the short version of this is --- if you are lucky enough to find a great teacher that matches up with your brain, it can work really well.