Thread: NGD: Loar 700
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post
Gary-N-LA: I got this as I love to play Jazz-ish stuff and I also think they sound great for that cross-picking alt-folk flat picking style (as I like to think of it - perhaps Dave Rawlings when he's not soloing). So far so good, works a dream for both styles, with a pick. I also like to play fingerpicking, piedmont blues style - and so far, at least (I've only had it a few days) - this doesn't work so well, my left and right hands just don't seem to sit right. I don't see this as an issue as I wasn't expecting it to cover everything and I still have my other guitars. It actually sounds pretty nice with a slide, too.

mr. beaumont/T. Sphere: Interesting on the 80/20s - it came with PB polywebs which I took off straight away - for me like playing with soap on the strings - and put on regular PBs. I love 80/20s on my flattop so have a few spare sets: I'll give them a go next.
Hi TDQ - Sorry to hear that about the fingerpicking cuz that's all I play. I want a guitar for American Songbook standards played fingerstyle on a solo guitar. For instance, I'm learning Jerome Kern's "The Way You Look Tonight" now - I'm almost "off book" on that one, using a very warm sounding Taylor 12-fret with a sinker redwood top. But I'm intrigued to play this on a guitar designed for jazz. Perhaps a guitar like this won't really work, as I don't use flat picks.
2019 Taylor 522ce V-Class 12-Fret - All Mahogany
2021 Rainsong V-OM 1000-NSX - Spruce/Carbon Fiber
2008 Fender Stratocaster 70s Reissue (Natural)