View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left of Sam View Post
I'll do backs tomorrow but I'd also like to know other places to hit and whether any of these plots are useful without the sound hole covered?
If you like the way it sounds now, I'd leave the back alone. In my experience, the back's tone contribution isn't huge (and most players mute the back with their belly anyway), and thinning the back braces may reduce projection.

Personally, I think the plot you're getting is useful. Alan Carruth did say that he thinks you mostly hear the "main air" when you thump the top, but I disagree.

I think you're getting an "impulse response." You're essentially setting the entire guitar in motion. The strongest peak you see is the "main top." To the left of that is the "main air." Looks like you've gotten pretty close to the Santa Cruz's signature.

If you want to isolate certain parts of the guitar, then it makes sense to do things like cover the sound hole. For example, when I try to get the back's tap tone in isolation, it sometime helps to mute the top since the top is so much more active than the back.

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers