View Single Post
Old 02-05-2017, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Mac View Post
I have no problem with processing the acoustic guitar sound, although many seem to. The key is not to overdo anything.

When I play with my acoustic group, I am the only guitarist and consequently have to cover a lot of ground and strive for a full sound. I accomplish this with fingerpicking, judicious EQ and effects. I use slight reverb, occasional chorus, very occasional delay, and looping on one song. For this I use a multi-processor with patches that I preset for what I want. The quality of the effect is simply not that critical to me in the kind of gigs I play; consequently I cannot justify the expense, or more importantly, the carrying weight and setup time involved with the use of a $300 box that does one thing.
I am in a similar situation. My duo plays instrumental fingerstyle and cover a lot of styles, sometimes a few in one song; effects and shaping are critical. Even still, my rig is fairly simple, Fishman Tonedeq and TC Delay ( I also use a TC Ditto). The Tonedeq reverb is always on. That unit has a great eq, compression, and boost. Prior to this setup, like you I used a multi-processor, the Digitech 360XP. It is a great unit but I found the Tonedeg provided just what I needed with better tone.

The argument against effects, IMHO, is like the argument between external mic'ing and using internal pickups. Once the sound of an instrument is played through a speaker, the resulting tonal representation/reproduction is arguable and subjective. Everything in those signal chains influences and injects their specific characteristics to the perceived tone.