View Single Post
Old 07-20-2012, 04:19 AM

1) Check with Taylor to see if they made the 214 with medium strings in mind. If Taylor recommend mediums strings, give them a shot. If Taylor do not recommend medium strings stick with the lights.

2) The greater mass of the medium strings will force the top of your guitar to move more than if it were strung with lights.
2a) Usually this is a good thing, but lightly built guitars can suffer from the slightly increased string tension (hence item #1). Sometimes mediums strangle the tone of a guitar. I have a Rainsong OM1000 that just hates mediums. It goes quiet and loses sustain.
2b) Most dreadnoughts can easily handle mediums and will sound better with the greater pull on the top. I am not as confident about that statement applied to modern (Taylor especially) concert sized instruments. FWIW, I have a SCGC dreadnought and would not consider putting anything BUT mediums on it.

3) If you use mediums and like the tone, but find them difficult to play, take the guitar to a luthier and have the set up adjusted to your playing style. That will certainly help you fell more comfortable when playing.

Hope helps!
Daniel