View Single Post
Old 02-18-2018, 08:21 AM

I do NOT sing but our band has a few AKG c535 for vocals, thats a handheld condenser and I've found its fantastic for vocals and instruments, its very clean and very pleasing and I find it easy to EQ for different singers. Its actually one of my favourite mics, so much so that I often use it for micing up a hi-hat when I mic my drum kit. It retains the high end crispness beautifully.
I haven't had a chance to use it or hear it personally yet but a friend of mine has just bought herself a Lewitt MPT350, also a handheld format condenser, and she is raving about it.

I think a lot of people automatically associate all condenser mics with large diaphragm "studio style" mics. These large diaphragm mics are definitely more awkward to use in a live environment.
As mentioned in a comment above, the biggest advantage condensers give is not having to eat it, and if you have good mic technique when you back away the volume will be controlled but you dont lose the tone of your voice.

Personally i'm not the biggest fan of SM58's its a solid mic, but not outstanding.
I also agree with pieterh about the Sennheiser mics, the e935 is a very decent live mic, i'd take that over the SM58 for sure. I'd like to test the Lewitt mtp250 dynamic at some point, as its price is surprisingly good and i love their studio large diaphragm condensers and as I said my friend is raving about the mtp350.