View Single Post
Old 02-18-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
I don't have Frank's experience of holding necks by the end of the fretboard ( btw on my threads we have fretboards ... other threads may well have fingerboards, which IMO belong on bowed instruments of the violin family ... but I digress) but I would be surprised if pocket slotted fretboards, with closely fitting frets, and all the interstices filled with hide glue or superglue, are as floppy as he says. I can see that through-slotted boards with the frets hammered in dry might be like that.
I agree. The fret slots eliminate strength in tension, but once they're filled they should be good in compression. (also, I consider fingerboard to be a more general term... a fretboard is always a fingerboard, but a fingerboard is only a fretboard if it has frets in it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
I do believe that dome retention especially in the upper part of the back is important for minimizing neck rotation. I've seen quite a few guitars whose neck had seemingly pulled up, and the backs have flattened or lost their dome.
That's why I like cylindrical radius backs. Can't lose the dome if you don't have it to begin with