Thread: Neck Hump
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewaterpig View Post
So because of some circumstances that were out of my control, my Martin 000 was exposed to an environment with some very, very low humidity. It sat in this room for a few days and then to make matters worse, it sat in a car that was in below freezing temperatures for a few hours before I finally got it home. When I took it out, I noticed a hump in the neck where it meets the body.

1) I’m assuming that I need to just rehydrate my guitar in a closed case, correct?

2) I have it sitting in its case with some 84% Boveda packs, but I’m only getting it up to 41% according to my calibrated hygrometer...is this because the guitar is absorbing so much? Or am I looking at a leak?

Any suggestions on how to go about fixing this situation are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Why would you want to bring the humidity up to 84% anyway?? Not a good idea.

Check out this info:

http://www.handcraftedguitars.ca/201...9/guitar-care/

Also, even if humidity is kept "perfect", guitars with Martin style design will often develop a hump that requires correction in the fret surfaces if minor. If hump is medium, it can sometimes warrant fingerboard levelling then refretting, and if major could (but rarely) warrant fingerboard removal (but I've never seen the need for f.board removal in the client guitars I've worked on).

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia