Thread: DIY amp mods?
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2017, 10:07 AM

ok this is probably N/A but this is what I have worked on in the last year. I have a (much sneered at) Fender Champion 110 (Mex) from around 1999. Solid state w/ 10" speaker - got it as part of an equipment swap years ago. You can find them for $50/$60 all the time.

What I like about about this amp is that it turns down real low and is louder than it ought to be cranked up. It is also very portable. I thought about it and realized like every thing else its built to a price point.

I put in a 10" Paducah Ky made Veteran Speaker (open box on ebay for $37 delivered) and a MOD 3 spring reverb (less than $20 delivered). What a transformation.

I leave it on the drive channel with the gain and reverb barely cracked. Of course it works best with my Fender Casters. All the players that I have showed this off too were amazed by how good this cheap SS amp sounded.

No I don't think sticking an $80 speaker in a $50 amp is a wise move, but what I described above turned a dust catcher into something I use all the time these days. It has a distinct brighter voice than my Excelsior Pro.