View Single Post
Old 09-24-2013, 06:38 AM

Do you have any idea what kind of acoustic drum kit you can get for that price? You are talking a boutique kit with very nice cymbals. If it were me, I'd cut up the PA a little bit, tell the drummer to play softer, and get everyone in-ear monitors.

Playing softer and yet effectively is an acquired skill. I've been doing worship music for about 20 years now. I've gotten really good about playing softer, but to be totally honest with you, I'd rather play and acoustic drums with a set of hot rods than to play electric drums. It can be done. I actually play without "an aquarium" and I have choir members on each side, and I think we sound pretty good. See what you think: -->http://mpbc.ws/media/ We run 2 services each Sunday, and our P&W leader has left it up to choir members which service that they sing at. Well, we have about 15 choir member that show up for first service, sing, and then they actually stick around just to sing for the 2nd service. And they have to stand beside the drummer! I'm still blown away by this.

I know for us, I don't think that it was the drums that were too loud; it was mainly the cymbals. So now, I actually play smaller Zildjian A Custom fast crashes (14" and 15") and this really helped. I also have an A Custom ride cymbal as well (as opposed to the Sabian Rock Ride that I was playing).

With all of this said, if I had to choose given your situation, I'd go with the Roland kit.