View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 05:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcn_acou View Post
Many thanks for the useful information SpruceTop and 2Fenderman, looks like I should have done more research before deciding on the GPC-28E.. I would have preferred a pickup that works well without any external EQ tweaking unfortunately..

Just to share, I posed the same questions to Martin's and Fishman's customer support and just got their responses.
- Martin said that they only recommend a small amount of Enhance in a live situation.
- Fishman informed that the enhance control could be boosting frequencies that would make the D string more pronounced, but also mentioned that if the D string is louder no matter where I play on the fretboard, then it could be a mechanical issue, and gave some advice on saddle adjustments.
As mentioned, you can make sure the bottom of the saddle is flat by putting it on a known flat surface like a machinist/inspection surface plate or a pane of glass or mirror. Then, by shining a light on the far side of the bridge, look for gaps along the bottom of the saddle where the light shines through. If any gapping is excessive, it can affect the Matrix UST string balance. I suspect your problem is "string ping/sitar effect" and it's common, especially if you strike that string with a flatpick at an angle and not square. The Enhance transducer seems to be really picking up this characteristic. Your guitar shop should be able to greatly reduce or eliminate this annoying characteristic by checking the string seating at the nut and by slightly modifying the saddle just behind where the string passes over the top and down the rear slope. Good Luck.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20