View Single Post
Old 12-09-2009, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post

I spent several hours last night learning about "take" comping, which is very impressive. Basically a way to do multiple takes, and then select the best parts of each take and put them together. Problem is, there's a huge assumption that your takes are in sync. If you're playing with a click track, or with a band, and just doing an alternate vocal or a guitar solo, or something, this is really nice! If you're playing a solo guitar piece, rubato, then it's not only useless, but it adds some complexity that gets in the way - I was stuck trying to do something as simple as trim the head and tail off my track. I did finally find the button to turn "takes" off - right under my nose, of course! (I have this feeling it could still be useful for solo guitar, just have to figure out the workflow for tracks that aren't locked to a click track)
I feel the same way about the quick swipe comping feature. Really if you are just doing one track, but i was thinking about how you recorded me, two stereo tracks with four mics. I think i would have a hard time editing all that and keeping it lined up using comping drop down menu. I am glad to read that you can turn that feature off it needed.

Anton