View Single Post
Old 03-18-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtheaxe View Post
This is along the lines I was thinking...to just try to level out the little bumps somewhat and then buff with polishing compound. Maybe try on a small area first and see how it pans out.

originally posted by Joe White..."When the pores are swelling like that it can be the pore filler causing it. Some users of UV pore fillers have experienced different levels of failure. If you were able to determine what finishing process and materials were used, you might be able to decide on the best repair (if any) to make".

I might try to direct our Larrivee sponsor to this post to see if they could give me some insight, or at least confirm exactly what it was they used.

I guess this is all part of acquiring a high-end guitar...something happens to it and one might tend to freak out (although to be honest, it was like this when I got it). Apart from the relatively minor finish bobble, the guitar plays great and sounds wonderful. I do worry a bit how this might affect resale value if I ever wanted to try to parlay it into something even more ostentatious.
I strongly advise against this. As I stated in your other thread, I have fixed one like this before. Sanding on what is essentially a high "bubble" of finish will only hasten breaking through the finish.

I would only go this route if you are more okay with patches of exposed wood surrounded by jagged breaks in the surrounding clear coat more than the way it looks now.

I can tell you how I repaired mine if you wish, but sanding on a bubble full of air will not change the appearance for the better and will likely make it much, much worse.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19