View Single Post
Old 10-21-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
MF is marketing a killer-looking '63 Jet Firebird double-cut (G5448) with gold hardware, honest-to-Chet split-cover Filter'trons, and a "G" tailpiece, for $649; I've lusted for one of these since I got the '63 catalog as a kid, and if I can unload some stuff that's seeing minimal use I might just grab one while they're still available...
I've actually been looking for a sparkle Gretsch double pro jet for some time (sans Bigsby). Cool guitars! Here's a AC/AC tribute model Eastwood in the pipeline:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
If you're looking for something in a solid-body check the used market for an early-80's Yamaha SSC-500; this one combines a 3-PU/25.5" platform with visual elements of the Gretsch Corvette and Gibson SG, and a wide-flat neck profile that predated PRS' adoption of a similar carve by a decade. Never terribly popular in their day - most players gravitated toward the Carlos Santana-approved SBG models - these are exceptionally well-made and fine-sounding/playing guitars, among the last lower-priced Yamahas made in Japan; they're also extremely versatile - the overwound pickups are tapped about 2/3 of the way through, allowing for both Strat and P-90 tones, and they're individually switchable for you Tele fans who miss the neck/bridge combination (or Strat players who would like to use all three). The good news is that there's no real collector interest - I've seen them selling in the $250-350 bracket depending on finish and condition - and my '82 served as my first-call electric for over 25 years, so I speak from experience here...[/LIST]
I take your word that this is an underrated guitar. But I'm shallow and need to dig the look too ;-)
I have a nice black Yamaha Dreadnought.

Yamaha SG's are fantastic! Too bad they're so insanly priced. You never see kit's or clones of the Yamaha SG's like all other classics. I wonder why that is..

Last edited by Northward; 10-21-2016 at 05:58 PM.