View Single Post
Old 03-19-2010, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Like Bobby, I haven't played one of Tom Bills guitars but I own a Batson and have played at least half a dozen McPhersons.

McPhersons and Batsons are really very different guitars. I've found McPhersons to be hit or miss, for my taste. But tone is subjective. That said, I like what they're doing and the fit and finish and their guitars is flawless. They can be a bit heavy but play great and are very comfortable.

I'm not sure how well the cantilevered neck/fretboard works, but it sure looks cool. I've heard that part of the top is relatively dead, but every little detail that can help, does. I think the expertise of a luthier would perhaps be able to speak more articulately on the actually effect of them.

I've played at least half a dozen Batson guitars too and have to comment on how much they've grown and pushed themselves. I first met the Batson brothers a couple years ago and was impressed with their guitars then, and their newer guitars are even more remarkable. I love their newer bracing system(s). I like how they're constantly trying to improve their instruments.

I've owned my Batson for about a month now. Their sound is truly unique and original. The absence of the soundhole on the top does add a nice color to the instruments voice. You really have to play one and hear it in person, I think. Words can't describe sound well enough... That said, Bobby's observations about Batsons are well put and give a fair generalization. I think my Batson is the best playing guitar I own. The neck's profile and setup are just remarkable.

Hopefully this helps...

Kindly,
Danny

P.S. here are a couple photos of mine...