View Single Post
Old 01-22-2024, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

I bought an Eastman E20 Orchestra Model recently having been told it punches above it's weight and was something of a Martin D-28 killer. It certainly is because it looks and sound quite like a D-28 and costs about half as much. Even if you don't consider the competition it's comparing itself too, for $1600 it played like it should have for the cost. It has solid wood construction and everything looks carefully constructed. I hear they get their spruce from the same supplier as the high end brands.

I don't particularly like the finish and I'm sure it's going to take a while to open up because of it, but it's a brand new guitar and it would the same issue with a brand new Martin. In fact it looks so much like the Martin OM-28 that I'm certain Eastman just copied it deliberately.

The only guitar that has better playability is my Goodall, but of course there's no contest there. The frets are thin and don't have any buzzing issues, once I set it up properly. I put D'Addario XS lights on it and after stretching the strings a few times it's staying in tune really well.

The case is better than expected and it comes with a better truss rod adjuster for reaching all the way in.

Overall I'd say the one I bought is worth its cost and more, and it has challenged my previous biases of brand loyalty. Based on my updated experience with acoustic guitars, I'd say I go with a Guild at the 300-500 dollar level; an Eastman at the 1000-2000 dollar level, and wouldn't buy anything else better until the 5000 dollar level and with that I'd buy a Goodall or similar brand.

Believe me, don't buy an Eastman on the internet. Go to a shop and play one. If you don't like it that's fine, but don't follow the hype you read online. Test the sound yourself in person. I just happened to find the sound and playability to be exactly what I wanted at that price range. I'd definitely say it disrupted any plans for me to buy a high-end Martin, except for their all-mahogany ones.
1960's Mitchel Parlor Guitar
1930's unknown Parlor Guitar
---
2009 Warmoth Stratocaster
2021 Fender American Precision Bass