View Single Post
Old 03-21-2017, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randers View Post
Apologies in advance if this thread should have been posted in a different discussion.

Simple question, but probably a much more complicated answer... I have:

1. My guitar
2. A MacBook Pro
3. Time

All I would like is to be able to record my instrumental songs so that they can be distributed to friends, family, social media etc. I understand I need a microphone, but do I need any sort of software? Which type of microphone is best if I stick 95% to finger-style?

Cheers,
Ryan
I would suggest the first things you should do is decide is
#1 what kind of quality of sound are you looking for,
#2 depending on that decision what kind of budget range are willing to consider .
#3 what kind of time/and possibly money are you really, willing to spend learning the art and craft of recording.

Having a preliminary notion of these three things as at least a starting point, will in fact make the search through the vast array of possibilities go much, much...much , more efficiently.

The "quality of sound" question can be looked at as ranging from simple "archival" ( a representation of your playing) to full blown high end commercial sound reproduction, and everything in between in incremental steps.

The simple archival end of the spectrum would require no additional equipment or expenditure beyond the MacBook you currently have. You can use the built in mic on the Macbook and as others have mentioned either the bundled QuickTime or GarageBand or iMovie . This will give you a reproduction of your playing with marginal sound .

Then beyond simple archival it is really a matter of budget which can be from a few hundred dollars.... to literally tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars for a high a end home studio and gear.

Time wise for archival you can start now with just the MacBook and be recording in a few minutes.
The better the "quality" you are after the more time will you spend learning.... to it taking years to learn how to make commercial quality recordings

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1