Thread: Free Strings
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2014, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip Carter View Post
Not trying to mislead anyone either.. 'warn' yes... 'Mislead' no.

Not sure your area of expertise but I work in the information security compliance area and I've seen how these things are done and how incrementally these schemes can be and in fact are often.

It is 'shameful' as you say to trivialize your exposure on the net. I am not saying this is a bad site..but it had all the markers of potentially being a setup. The only forgiving factor I would see in the scenario is that the link came out of side bar ad on FaceBook; which would lend it some credibility but that doesn't mean FB didn't screw up along the way.
I'm all for security and I'm frequently sharing articles about privacy infringement with others. My friends, family, and followers probably wish I would give it a rest. However, I disagree with the string page having all the markers. Not asking for a phone number was the first sign of sincerity I noticed. I'm not going to tell you that you are wrong for electing to avoid it or telling others to be cautious. I completely respect and appreciate that. It's when it traveled over into what I thought was unrealistic that I felt the need to speak up. It's good to be cautious but at some point we take reasonable risks every day when we eat, drive, etc, etc.
Again, I respectfully disagree with some of what you said but I do appreciate you encouraging awareness and caution.