View Single Post
Old 12-08-2017, 10:22 AM

I've written 3 original songs I played at the regular Friday jam I attend. I recorded two of them and sent them to a friend of over 40 years who is a somewhat well known Nashville songwriter. He had the distinction of writing the only song on a Garth Brooks cd Garth recorded where he wrote all the rest of them. My friend heaped tons of praise on my songs, only suggesting the change of two words on one of them. I was amazed at how much he liked them and was very encouraged.

I have another new one I'll play tonight. I began working on my own solo for it rather than springing a song on our phenomenal old guy who is entirely capable of spontaneous improvisation. I'm finding that all I have to do is hear the solo in my head and find the notes on the neck. I know some of you are saying "well, duh!" about now. I have to add that now , something is clicking for me. I have two books on soloing I've been learning scales from and also have a few videos on Youtube I refer to. It's getting exciting to say the least. I'm still light years away from ever improvising on the fly, but I'm beginning to "feel" where correct and applicable notes are.

I'll only add that the guitar I inherited from a recently deceased friend is a big part of my motivation. It's a beautifully opened up 36 year old dred I find a real joy to play. The guitar itself seems to be encouraging me to come to her and play things on her I've never explored before. My friend's guitar seems to love me as much as I love her and she is giving me her all. I guess I now fully understand the concept of a guitar that speaks to you and feel very fortunate my friend left her to me. He had a couple limited edition Taylors I thought I wanted more but obviously I would have been wrong. An old guy at the jam owns one of them I got for him from my friend's brother at nearly half price of its true value. He mentioned he thought he'd have rather been able to buy my guitar now. I told him I wouldn't trade her for the 2 Taylors he now owns. He seemed a bit offended slightly, but it's the absolute truth. I'm dancing with the one who brought me and she just keeps on giving! Does that sound weird?