View Single Post
Old 09-14-2017, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penrith Pete View Post
Interesting question for me, this....

I have relatively little experience of playing 'plugged in' with most if my performing being either acoustic or through external mics straight into a desk.

But recently I bought a Marshall AS50D amp for doing little solo performances where I need a bit of amplification. I like it but have noticed the following:
The amp has chorus and reverb which are quite flexible / adjustable. BUT, the effects are turned on or off by the push of a little button. I have noticed that as soon as I turn then on, the guitar immediately sounds more processed, compressed and 'electric' in tone. It has less colour and resonance, even with the effects dialled right back.

Is this a typical effect of processing your signal through any kind of effects or would this be different going through, say a high quality reverb pedal? I would be interested to now what people think. Hope I am not hijacking the thread!

I am tending to just skip all the effects in order to keep a bit more acoustic tone to the sound at present.
No, this is a result of low quality A/D and D/A converters that such amp would have and that your signal runs through as soon as the effects section is engaged. High quality effect units don't degrade your tone like that.