View Single Post
Old 09-13-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaw2821 View Post
So I'm not really interested in discussing the advantages of tube amps because I know, I love tube amps their sound and everything about them. However, I am wanting to get a setup for home. And getting any sort of breakup with a good tube amp isn't going to work. I don't want to go with a small tube amp because I haven't found one I liked very well yet. And they don't seem to have good cleans.

So I'm considering either a fender bassbreaker 15w and using a dirt pedal to get any crunch or distortion, or a modeler.

I love tube amps but if I'm just going to use a pedal for crunch is it worth it?

Also I live in the country so I'm not restricted to super quiet like someone in an apartment might be. Just reasonable volume levels for at home.

Thoughts?
If I were starting from scratch, I'd probably go with one of the newish Boss Blues Cubes, and might add a dirt pedal later on if I felt like I really needed it. And maybe an effects pedal or two (delay for sure). But that's just because I really have zero need for lots of different amp models or more than a couple of effects, and I am accustomed to pedals and they are more intuitive to me.

Modeling has come so far that it would be an equally good choice, it's just a matter of preference. If going the modeling amp route, I'd go with the Boss Katana 100W head then, if needed, add a 1x12 or 2x12 cab. I would not go with the Katana combos, as they lack , of all things, a speaker out jack.

Or if modeling with a floor unit into an FRFR speaker, and not worrying too much about expense, the Helix seems to be ruling the roost lately.