View Single Post
Old 11-21-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Have you considered recording apps on the iPad, etc? From Garage band to Auria, you still get fairly simple, portable, quiet, etc, but you can do all the things with an interface designed to support them. (You could even use a Zoom as the interface to the tablet, I believe)
I tried a while back to use an iPad and got a lot of stuff for it like the Apogee Jam and I used my CEntrance MicPort Pro for mics but for some reason I never got it the way I wanted it. It may be because at the time I had the iPad 2 so the apps were not to mature yet. Now I have the iPad Pro maybe things are better.

But in my memory I just couldn't get away from having loads of wires because any interface that had two or more XLR mic inputs required me to plug into a powered USB hub which needed a power supply for it. I ended up going back to my laptop because everything could be bus powered. A fast laptop with a good USB bus-powered interface has always had my iPad beat for a fast, mobile, non-messy recording solution.

Maybe a battery powered interface which didn't require plugging into a hub first could work for my iPad... even better would be not plugged in at all and wirelessly (is that a word?!) controlled (like Airplay) ... if there is such a thing

I checked a few videos for plugging in the H6 to an iPad and I keep seeing it plugged into a powered hub and then the hub plugged into the iPad and also into a wall socket. I think the H6 also uses the USB port to power it and so it sends the wrong signals to the iPad (i.e. that it requires a lot of power). Shame really.