View Single Post
Old 08-08-2017, 10:40 AM

Default Maingard OM Build Thread

Although I've owned (too) many guitars, it is seldom that I've run across one where I made an immediate and deeply emotional attachment. The Maingard OOO 12 fret is one such guitar. The balance, volume, sweet tone, intonation, woods and build quality are over the top compared to any instrument I have ever owned. From this revelation I draw the conclusion that while his work is known to many and he is respected for it, he is still one of the most underrated luthiers on the planet. This led me to ask him if he would accept a commission for a custom OM from me. He graciously agreed. I will maintain this thread as the build progresses. Marc is semi-retired and only works a few hours a day. We expect the instrument will be completed by the end of this year. So far, we have made the choice for back and sides. Very old Brazilian shown in the attached photo's.

There were few other choices required. All his standard OM dimensions. Twelve frets above the body (this is a very underrated option - I love what it does to a steel string instrument), Venetian cutaway plus a very nice Alpine Spruce top.

Marc is a very friendly, spiritual person and I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to collaborate with him on a guitar for the ages.

Cincy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3899.jpg (47.2 KB, 581 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3900.jpg (40.9 KB, 556 views)