Thread: Elliott Capos
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2015, 07:27 AM

Used a Shubb for years, even though I thought it was crazy money 35 years ago when I first got one. It was well engineered & built and was a huge step up from the old elastic type I'd had previously.

With my recent bluegrass obsession, I'm using a capo more than ever, so bought a couple new ones to try out - a Paige and a Planet Waves NS (aesthetically Kyser-type clamp jobs trigger an involuntary gag reflex...). I liked both the new ones, and really appreciated the ability to store the Paige above the nut at jams. The Paige is a little flexy though; the NS is not.

With the addition of a 28-style guitar w/volute the Paige won't fit above the nut, so I finally sprung for a Mckinney-Elliot and it has all the pros I've enjoyed in other capos, with price as the only con. Also, there's no dampening or loss of tone at all with the Elliot. I still use the Paige on one guitar and generally have the NS as a backup (fits all width necks) when I'm out & about.

The Shubb is a little fussier than the rest up the neck a bit, so doesn't get much use, but I still think it's a cool capo and it served me well. Do still use my banjo Shubb, though.