View Single Post
Old 03-23-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjsb1 View Post
I'll second that, I've a fishman rare earth blend, and due to constant battles balancing a Nord keyboard on stage.. I get feedback, even with the internal mic rolled completely off. Monitor position, my position on stage, position of the FOH PA + sub (in smaller venues especially) all contribute to my tops vibrations... Hence, the search for a new pickup begins, (or equally a very good Pre!)
Electronic keyboards can be amplified to ridiculous levels. What you need, I fear, is a keyboard player who'll cooperate in playing at a level which is compatible with your instrument's amplification capabilities.

The only pickup upgrades (for the instrument you have) which might possibly help you are a mag pickup/soundhole cover combo, or the Barbera Soloist pickup or the LR Baggs LB6 pickup, used in conjunction with a soundhole cover. (Those pickups reportedly have some of the piezo crystals wired out of phase in order to inhibit feedback.)

As far as preamps go, the Zoom A3 can offer a great deal of precise EQ control. In addition to a six band graphic EQ and a two band parametric EQ (which can be used in series), the A3 also has a manual bass-mid-treble three knob EQ which can be used for quick and dirty tone adjustments at the gig. You also have the option of inverting the phase of your signal (when needed) if you run your pickup through the mic channel. (Its called the "mic channel", but it has a compound jack which can also accommodate the instrument cable from a pickup.)

Regarding the issue of easy ways to make the K&K Pure Mini less feedback prone, using the Pure Mini with the new ToneDexter digital processor might be an easy fix. James May, the co-creator of ToneDexter claims that it has some "secret sauce" circuitry which helps to inhibit feedback. Since Mr. May is a Pure Mini user himself, I tend to believe his assertion that the Pure Mini/ToneDexter combination isn't feedback prone in most performance situations. He's doubtless done plenty of field testing of the Pure Mini/ToneDexter combination. Beyond that, we should be getting buyer/user feedback on ToneDexter within a few months.