View Single Post
Old 12-19-2016, 02:27 PM

In that price range with acoustic electric capability, I wound up with Cordoba GK models. They are usually readily available at big box stores. I have both blanca and negra versions. Even though laminated back and sides, they do project the expected character of blanca versus negra. All of these seem to come with frets that benefit from polishing. I took some 800 grit and shined up the frets to an acceptable level with about an hour labor. My cypress had high/low frets and needed a fret dress by a tech to play clean. The rosewood fret work was better but still needed a polish. I'd say the rosewood is probably closer to classical voicing than the cypress but not quite classical. I prefer the cypress for gigging since it has less overtones and is more controllable at stage volume.

Not the best acoustic sound but decent and acceptable for stage work so the utility value and performance for price is good. I still gig mine but, for the last several months, my favorite gigging amplified nylon string is the Yamaha SLG200N. It is probable neither flamenco or classical but leans toward the classical side. No acoustic sound as you'd expect, but great function for playing live.

hunter