View Single Post
Old 09-09-2017, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
Saws with two table slots make it much easier to have a sled that has no lateral movement. I don't see how you control that tendency.
I think I would have to take issue with that, Howard.

Sleds with two runners are indeed useful when it comes to cutting large panels .... I have a two-runner sled for my Grizzly tablesaw which will accommodate a 26" wide panel, but I rarely need to use it these days.

As long as the walls of the miter slot are parallel, it is not difficult to construct a single-runner sled with zero wobble or play.... the knack is in building width adjustment into the (wooden) runner, rather than trying to get a dead accurate sliding fit with a non-adjustable wooden runner right from the git-go, which will of course move over time due to wear and humidity.

If you wanted to spend money, then using a high quality after-market accessory like the INCRA steel Glidelock miter slot bar would also enable you to construct a zero wobble sled.

The big advantage of using a wooden runner is that you can glue the base of the sled to the runner, which eliminates another potential source of side play, although you still need to reinforce it with screws, of course. With a steel bar you are reliant purely on the screws to give a secure fixing.