View Single Post
Old 11-25-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck62 View Post
No offense to your brother, but that's a totally unqualified opinion. HHP is right (although it's "cyanoacrylate" not cyanoacrylic) that the type of cyanoacrylate in both Krazy Glue and Super Glue is toxic to 5% of the population. Dermabond is a butyl-cyanoacrylate that's safe for 100% of the population. I just wanted to say this because the misinformation in your post could be seriously harmful to someone who thinks it's ok to use Krazy Glue on a cut when it's been shown to be toxic to 1 in every 20 people. I'm posting this from my phone and can't post a link, but do a search of cyanoacrylates and you'll find that HHP is actually correct.
If you believe Wikipedia, here's the layman's summary: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate#Toxicity

Reaction to the fumes is not the same as the implied "poisoning". CA was originally branded as Eastman 510, and sold to doctors as a wound closure. Yes, medical grade is far preferable to hobby/industrial grade for such use. But you won't die from it's use. At worst, it will piss off your doctor a lot when he has to try to debond it if it doesn't work, and you have to go in for stitches (don't ask...) Becasue skin oils do cause it to debond after a day or two, it is not a great solution to the original question. Maybe in an emergency just before a show, but otherwise, not something to routinely count on.