View Single Post
Old 09-10-2011, 11:31 AM

Up here in Alberta we get EXTREME seasonal swings. It can go from 35degC (in the 90s or higher) with nearly 100% RH in the summer to MINUS 60 with zero RH (there might be some moisture in the air but it's FROZEN). That is like a 150 degree Fahrenheit swing.

My acoustics' necks handle it (RH is a bit more stable indoors) fine but...while it didn't happen last year. sometimes I'd grab my '94 PRS CE-24 (VERY long and thin bolt on neck) from the case and the strings would be laying on the neck!! I'd loosen the truss and six months later I'd pull it out and the strings are six feet off the neck...tighten up time.

I blamed it on humidity but it didn't seem to occur on any specific weather or humidity change. Like I didn't notice it happening on a damp day that followed a dry spell or vise versa.
It's been stable for the past 2 years or so.

Everytime we have some time off though and the guitar has been it it's case for a week or two I'm always ready for a "surprize" when I open the case but..it's been ok lately.

I've owned and own a lot of guitars. The CE24 is the only guitar I've ever owned that has had such drastic shifts.
Weird. I suppose it's possible that it had nothing to do with RH. No idea what else could have caused it though. I always use the same strings.