View Single Post
Old 10-10-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
...my wife...can read music and used to play clarinet in high school but we are looking for something easy to play...
If your wife can read music and used to play clarinet in HS, I'm sure she has enough background to recognize common chord forms - major, minor, dominant seventh, etc. - when she hears them, and enough manual dexterity to be able to handle basic guitar chord/scale patterns with a little practice; that said, there's also a psychological factor - one that I didn't fully appreciate until my wife and I joined a seniors' uke group at the local community center - which, in spite of the reality of the situation, just makes some instruments seem "easier" to play. I say go with a nice tenor uke:
  • It's small and "cute" enough not to be intimidating, and portable enough to take just about anywhere
  • There's more space to get around on the fingerboard compared to a standard soprano uke, while still being small enough overall to handle easily
  • The sound is "bigger" and fuller
  • It can be set up with a low-G fourth string to extend the tonal range
  • It blends very nicely with a standard 6-string guitar (speaking from experience here)
  • It doesn't restrict her to barred "one-finger" major or minor chords (as an experienced musician I suspect she'll tire of that in a hurry), and the forms/fingerings are transferable to guitar when/if she decides to step up
A decent student tenor uke can be had for around $200; just as with guitars, you're starting to get into solid tops (and occasionally all-solid construction) once you get into this price range - and since both of you have musical experience I wouldn't recommend going with the lower-priced/poorer-sounding laminated instruments. FYI one of our regular posters runs a uke group, whose website provides some excellent information - you might want to check them out before you take the plunge:

www.boiseukulelegroup.com

Happy shopping...