View Single Post
Old 05-10-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokiehat View Post
Dont go spending a tonne of money on a tonne of junk to start out with. It will be a nightmare to setup and learn how everything works.

Always start small and add one item at a time as and when you need it. It is much easier to diagnose faults in the signal chain this way, you spend time to acclimatise and learn to use each tool as you acquire it.

Right now you can get recording with a PC, cheap 2 in/2 out firewire soundcard with onboard preamps, an SM57 and a DAW license. I'd start out with that first and start figuring out mic placement and room influence and what you can do with your own performance to get the sound you want from your mic. Then add another 57 at some point to try out stereo micing with spaced pairs, xy, ortf pairs etc. They don't need to be 57s either - just a cheap, versatile mic in a similar sort of price range. 57s are great because you will never really outgrow them. Its always good to have a pair of them around regardless of whether you are a newbie or the most sought after pro in the industry.

My plan is to start small as you said and just go with the bare essentials but if I need to add to what I have i would rather spend the extra money on something I will be satisfied with in the long run.

As far as gear goes, this is what I have:

2 Martin acoustics, 1 with a pick up
Fender acoustisonic amp
Fender Strat
Peavy Bandit amp
Shure sm58 mic with boom and stand
Toshiba laptop with cheap real tek sound card

I understand that the sm58 is not a recording mic but if it will suffice in the short run I will use it.

Pretty sure I will need to upgrade my soundcard as it a very basic one. Can you recommend some and give me a basic explanation of how to hook my gear into it? Again, if I need to upgrade here I figure I may as well stick something decent in my laptop, providing it won't be obsolete next year.

What software programs should I look at?

Not sure what a DAW license is, can you explain?