View Single Post
Old 05-09-2010, 07:06 PM

Nod, there are literally hundreds of options for home recording chains today. I like to build larger sounding tracks with many instruments, so I prefer to have multi-tracking and layering ability in a stand alone recorder. However, multi-tracking and layering can also be efficiently accomplished on a computer with the right programs.

If you like turning knobs and pushing buttons rather than using a virtual control panel, then a standalone recorder such as a Tascam or Boss BR series is a good way to go. If that isn't important to you, then go with a computer. I use a Yamaha MG124 mixer into a Boss BR864 (the newest version is the BR900).

However, which ever way you decide to go, decent mics will be important! Remember, garbage in = garbage out, so clean, clear input devices (mics) are extremely important. You should do a search in this forum for threads about mics...some people will tell you that only condenser mics should be used for recording, but a good dynamic mic will do nicely too! I like the the Rode NT1-A for vocals and some guitar work. It is a large diaphragm condenser with very low internal noise and great clarity. But keep in mind that this is home recording, so there is a quality break point where no matter how good the mic is, you are not going to hear a significant increase in quality due to the quality of the other components in the recording chain (including the room itself).

Also, your home recording space will be a huge factor! If the space is small, you might pick up noise from a computer, so a standalone might be better. If there are other noise sources (kids in the next room, traffic outside, air conditioning) you might select hyper or supercardioid pattern mics instead of omni-pattern mics to reject off-axis sound. I have a pair of EV N/D767s that sound fabulous and reject off-axis sound better than any other dynamics I have used (makes them very feedback resistant for live performing, too).

Finally, if you just want to create simple recordings without getting into mics, layering, mixing, computer programs, etc., then just get a Zoom H2. It's a little recorder with an outstanding internal mic and terrific sound quality for very little cash.

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)