View Single Post
Old 03-01-2015, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

Default strings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
The strings are total POS and, given the cost of the instrument itself, the weak link in the tone chain; actually, the pickups are quite good for an entry-level bass, and the QC is of the usual high Yamaha standard...
I am not trying to argue here, but simply calling the strings a POS isn't exactly a helpful or informative review of them in my opinion.
You are entitled to your feelings and opinions, but how bad can a round wire wrapped around a core really be? What issues did you encounter? What about the tone wasn't up to your criteria?
How do you know what amplifier or such he might be using? So many factors to be considered that create TONE, and let's not forget that a good player can make almost ANYTHING sound good or work.

The "point" of my post was to illustrate that anyone, especially a novice can learn something from the strings that come on the instrument and might want to TEST it before making any changes.
Since it's his first experience with bass strings, as he stated, I feel that he can gain some knowledge from playing the factory strings first. If he changes them immediately before trying them or spending time learning his new instrument,
then how will he know if the strings were good, bad or otherwise?
I feel that he can learn more on his own if he simply plays and tests what he has and demo's others too.
I have many Original 60's basses of many brands with Factory Original strings still on them, they don't intonate well, they are dead sounding, they are uneven in volume, but I LIKE them for certain kinds of playing and a vibes.
If I just removed them all because they were Old or Factory installed when I bought these basses, I would never have gotten to the point where I had an appreciation for them. That is all i was saying.
The OP might be better served if he gained his Own experience and was able to form his own opinions based on what he learned from all strings he is going to encounter during his journey.
I have probably tried 200 kinds of strings but i am not going to tell him what he should play.
The Bottom line (no pun intended), the Factory strings can be changed at any time, but since they are on the instrument, why not give em a spin for a while?