View Single Post
Old 03-01-2015, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by largeal View Post
I've been playing bass for decades and I'd recommend you use the strings that come with it for quite some time so that you can formulate some opinions about what you either do or do not like about them; then, based on that, you can begin to make an intelligent and informed decision about what you might want to change. The factory strings might be great...it might take some time or years, but the factory strings are likely going to serve you fine until you gain some experience...
If this were a $1K+ Fender American Standard/Vintage, Rickenbacker, Warwick, Lakland, (German) Hofner, or the like, I'd be 100% in your corner...

This is a $179 Pac-Rim plank - $150 on sale at your friendly local big-box...

I set them up for our school band conductor when he got a batch in a couple years back, and the kids come to me for tech work when they need it, so I have extensive/recent hands-on experience with this exact bass...

The strings are total POS and, given the cost of the instrument itself, the weak link in the tone chain; actually, the pickups are quite good for an entry-level bass, and the QC is of the usual high Yamaha standard...

Bottom line: spend $25-30, change the strings - then work from there...