Thread: Bon Iver
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Sandy View Post
Those who stopped listening to popular music since 1975, check out Kathleen Edwards, the Decembrists, the Civil Wars, Lucinda Williams, and the current crop of NON-navel-gazing acoustic singer-songwriters (including some who've thrown a bit of electric guitar into the mix) who write interesting lyrics that are neither marshmallow fluff nor soul-baring TMI.
I can absolutely see where you're coming from in regards to Vernon's idea of syllabic structures rather than traditional lyrics and I agree, much of the problem with it is the delivery he chooses to use. By itself, that falsetto is borderline unlistenable. Still, there is something about it and his music that I find endlessly compelling- much in the same way that I find Sigur Ros' music, whose structures, moods and lyrical styles very similar.

That being said, there are few things that I love more than well-composed lyrics (I am, after all, an English teacher with a writing degree!) and love all of the artists that you mentioned, in addition to the classics (Townes Van Zandt, Carole King, etc.)...

So, agree to disagree, I suppose.