View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013, 07:11 AM

I have had the exact same problem since lowering the saddle on one of my guitars. The problem seems to be the neck angle. The neck actually bends slightly backwards from the point of where the neck meets the body at the 14th fret. When i put the edge of a ruler across the top of the frets with the 14th fret in the middle the ruler pivots on the 14th fret showing that the neck bends backwards from that point, hence the string fretting the 14th fret when holding down the 13th. If i was to raise the saddle slightly then that particular problem would be eliminated (although the action would be higher than what i want). If i was to sort the problem properly i would probably have to have the neck reset.

Does your guitar have the same problem as mine?
Try putting the edge of a ruler accross the top of the frets with the 14th in the middle and see if it pivots.

I agree with what others say in that you shouldn't start filing frets until you find out what the source of the problem is as it may create buzzing on the fret in front. I'd try raising the saddle first before filing.

Last edited by Peter Jones; 06-21-2013 at 07:42 AM.