View Single Post
Old 04-06-2011, 09:21 AM

Default Interesting Guitar Manufacturer Business Facts

Now that I am a bit more interested in business [rather than engineering], I did some research about Taylor Guitars (Taylor-Listug, Inc.), Fender, Gibson, and Martin on my free time and found some interesting facts and figures to share.

Taylor Guitars
- Taylor's revenue is approx $21.4 million
- Approx 320 employees
- Taylor has a strategic relationship with Fender Musical Instruments Corporation... This was really interesting, no wonder Fender hasn't competed with Taylor.
- I found out that Fender actually distributes Taylor guitars (they were listed as their distributer)

Fender Musical Instruments Corp.
- Fender Musical Instruments Corporation acquired Tacoma guitars in 2004
- Fender acquired Groove Tubes in 2008

Gibson Guitars Corp
- Gibson Guitars Corp acquired Baldwin Piano and Organ from General Electric Capital Corp in 2001 (they Baldwin had filed for Chapter 11 - which is merely a change in control, it does not mean the company is only losing money). Baldwins revenues were approx $81 million and had losses of $14.2 million (OUCH!) before the acquisition.
- Gibson Guitars acquired Griffiths (Garrison) Guitars in 2007 and converted their production to make the Songmaker series. (Canada)
- Gibson Guitars has approximately 2,800 employees.

I also think its interesting that GE Capital financed Baldwin (as they finance Taylor). Even though I don't think that Taylor will have to raise capital or is interested in going public, I think it will be interesting what the next five years, where the music instruments business is expected to grow at 5% will have for us.

I would love to hear more interesting facts from you guys.